A beautiful, tiny chapel and its unusual sculptures will be open to the public on three special visitor days this year.

Scotch Corner Chapel is near the village of Oldstead in the North York Moors. Built by local man and Ampleforth College master John Bunting, the Chapel is a war memorial to those who died in the Second World War and, in particular, to former Ampleforth College pupils who fought in the war.

The remote Chapel will be open for the public to see inside on Saturday 18 May, Saturday 20 July and Saturday 14 September this year.

SSC North York Moors National Park Authority

Scotch Corner Chapel

 

Bunting acquired the land on which the Chapel sits in 1956. It is built on the ruins of an old farmstead, though the history of the plot goes back much further – the Battle of Byland between the English and the Scots took place here in 1322 and there are two Bronze Age burial mounds nearby.

The Chapel is now managed by the Bunting family for the public benefit and is home to many of John Bunting’s sculptural works including a stone sculpture of a recumbent solider in paratrooper’s helmet and commando boots.

The National Park Authority has been working with the Bunting family for the last few years to provide chances for people to see inside and talk to John Bunting’s descendants.

The Plot  0030

One of the sculptures at the chapel

 

Jennifer Smith from the National Park Authority said, “We have been holding open days for around four years now and people’s intrigue about the Chapel and the work of John Bunting is as strong as ever. The Chapel makes a great place to stop off on several good walks and bike rides in the area.”

Interest in the Chapel grew significantly in 2010 when The Plot was published. The book written by daughter of John Bunting and Guardian journalist Madeleine Bunting explores the history of the area and her father’s lifelong attachment to the Chapel.

There is no need to book and people can come along anytime between noon and 4pm. Directions can be obtained from Sutton Bank National Park Centre. The Chapel is located at Grid Reference SE 526, 814. There is no vehicular access and it is a 20 minute walk to the nearest parking.

For more information contact Jennifer Smith at the North York Moors National Park Authority’s office on 01439 772700.

Join The Conversation

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.