North Street York
The church is famous not only for its 120ft (37m) spire and its stained glass, but also the replica anchorite’s cell which was attached to the building this century. If All saints is locked the keys are availiable from No 1 All Saints Cottages.
ALL SAINTS MINING CHAPEL
Denaby Main, Doncaster
Part of All Saints Church this memorial chapel is dedicated to the miners and coal-mining heritage of the area.
ALL SAINTS PARISH CHURCH
Church Street, Ilkley
The building has a 13th century south doorway, a 16th century naive and aisles, a 19th century chancel and a 20 th century north chapel and vestry. The church also houses Ilkley’s 2 Roman altars and Saxon crosses.
Its riverside position and Norman heritage ensure that Arncliffe is well worth a visit.
Beauchief Abbey Lane, Beauchief, S8 7BD
Tel: 0114 221 1900
The Black Cannons order built this beautiful 12th century abbey. Only the chapel is still standing. Ancient woodland and a golf course surround the abbey. Opening Times: Monday-Sunday 10am-7pm, Please telephone to confirm. Admission: Free.
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Tel: (01482) 868540
A Medieval Minster with splendid musical carvings as well as a Saxon sanctuary chair and the Percy tomb. Opening Times: 9am-5pm. Admission: Donations of at least £1 per adult.
1 Stott Hill, Bradford, BD1 4EH
Tel: (01274) 777720
Bradford’s most ancient site of worship is open from 8am-3pm.
Wakefield, Chantry Chapel
CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
Church Street, Sheffield, S1 1HA
Tel: (0114) 275 3434
Built in 1430 using the perpendicular gothic style. In 1914 it was raised from town church to cathedral status. The chancel roofs, Shrewsbury chapel, St George’s Chapel and the Chapter House are all notable architectural features. Daily services throughout the week. Admission: Free.
THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Tel: (01924) 373923
The circa 14th century cathedral offers peace and tranquility away from the bustling pedestrian area. The wood carvings and stained glass windows are widely celebrated. Opening Times: All year Monday-Saturday 8am-5pm. Sunday services only.
THE CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ST MARY
Wakefield Bridge, Wakefield
Tel: (01924) 373847
Built in the 14th century this is one of the only four surviving bridge chapels in England. The chapel frontage has been replaced twice and depicts scenes from Christ’s life. Limited opening please telephone for details.
The Minster Church of All Saints, Rishworth Road, Dewsbury
Tel: (01924) 457057
The Minster dates back to Anglo-Saxon times and includes a heritage centre for the presentation of Anglo-Saxon sculpture. There is also a pilgrimage chapel to St Paulinus.
Near Settle, North Yorkshire. St Alkelda is the patron of Giggleswick Church and she was said to have been a Saxon princess strangled by two heathen women.
North York Moors and coast.
HALIFAX PARISH CHURCH
Tel: (01422) 354448/365477
Observe the colours carried at Waterloo, the carved font cover, the 17th century pews and the commonwealth windows.
An impressive monument to the work of Bishop Skirlaw in the late 14th century. Opening Times: All year daily.
The resting place of J. B. Priestly, the famous Yorkshire writer who died in 1984, is also celebrated for its architecture which is influenced by both the Normans and the Penine Perpendicular style. Its interior is well known for its beautifully carved pews produced by Robert Thompson.
Founded in 1152 by Cistercian Monks from Fountains Abbey. The Cloister, Church, Refrectory and medieval floor tiles are open to public display. The Abbey fell into disrepair during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, but in 1889 was purchased by Colonel John North and presented to Leeds.
North York Moors and Coast The site of Lastingham Abbey’s Crypt possesses a chequered history; first the location of St Cedd’s abbey which was destroyed by the Danes in 1078, then the prospective position for a second abbey, but only the crypt and a portion of the abbey’s chancel were ever built. The latter remains intact beneath the present church which also encompasses the surviving chancel
MOUNT GRACE PRIORY
Saddlebridge, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 3JG, Tel: (01609) 883494 This beautifully situated Carthusian monastery provides a realistic vision of monastic life with its restored two storey cell and herb garden.
Heptonstall, Yorkshire Dales
Yorkshire Dales Ripon Cathedral illustrates four distinct centuries; the crypt, located beneath the central tower, dates from 672 whilst the West front is 13th century, the seven-light east window 14th century and the building itself was re-established as a cathedral in the 19th century.
Rievaulx, Helmsley, North Yorkshire, YO6 5LB
Tel: (01439) 798228
An audio tour and exhibition are available at Rievaulx Abbey, the unforgettable ruin situated amidst a timbered valley.
Tel: (01709) 812739
The name originates from the rocky limestone of the site. The abbey itself is a splendid 12th century ruin. Capability Brown landscaped the surroundings in the 1770s.
SALTAIRE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
Victoria Road, Saltaire, Shipley, BD18 3LA. Possibly the most perfect example of Italianate architecture, containing the tomb of Sir Titus Salt.
Selby, North Yorkshire. Founded in 1069, Selby Abbey was the first Northern monastic settlement to be founded after the Norman Conquest. The Abbey dominates the centre of the busy market town and is open daily 9.00am to 4.00pm.Visit the website www.selbyabbey.org.uk
ST GEORGE’S CHURCH
Church Way, Doncaster
Built in 1858 to replace a previous Norman church. It was constructed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and is a splendid example of Victorian neo-gothic architecture.
A late Saxon and Norman church famous for its herringbone style masonry and pre-reformation screen between its nave and chancel.
Adwick le Street. Norman and Early English Church. It holds the alabaster tomb of a member of the Washington family who lived at Adwick Hall. They may have been ancestors of George Washington.
ST MARGARET’S CHURCH
Queen’s Road, Ilkley
Built in 1879 it is a superb example of work by Norman Shaw, RA. It has spectacular reredos, baptistry and choir screen. There is also a window by Sir Edward Burne-Jones.
Established as a chapel of ease in 1120. Specially interesting are the rhyming epitaph of two Danish mercenaries and the carving of the White Rabbit. Opening Times: All Year, Contact the Tourist Information Centre.
ST MARY MAGDALENE
This church is celebrated because of its impressive Norman west tower, medieval screen, Flaxman sculpture and alter designed by Pugin.
ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
Linton, Yorkshire Dales
This church is delightfully positioned alongside the river and serves many surrounding communities. It illustrates the building fashions of the 14th century, but was actually founded in 1150.
ST PETER’S CHURCH
Barton upon Humber
Tel: (01652) 632516
The tower of this former parish church dates from the end of the tenth century and is located amidst an Anglo-Saxon cemetry. The church has an unusual window bearing a beautifully carved figure of Christ.
The oldest building in South Yorkshire dated AD650-700. It contains the remains of a Saxon minster church
ST PETER AND ST LEONARDS
An 18th century church designed by locally born John Carr.
ST THOMAS’S CHURCH
This Victorian Church of St Thomas the Apostle shares its churchyard with the medieval ruined church of St Thomas a Becket. Light Refreshments served in the church. There is also a second hand bookstall.
Barton upon Humber
Founded in 1139 and the gatepost remains to testify to the power of this once grand abbey. Parts of the octagonal chapterhouse also remain. Legend has developed around a skeleton, which has become known as the Black Monk of Thornton Abbey, supposedly found during 18th century excavations.
TRINITY CHURCH, OSSETT
Trinity Church, Church Street, Ossett, WF5 9DW
Tel: 01924 263497
We are a grade 2* building with stunning stained glass and a dominating position on the landscape. The building has recently undergone significant renovation with substantial financial support from English Heritage.
Norfolk Street, S1 2JD
Tel: (0114) 276 7114
The Unitarian Upper Chapel is 300 years old and has stained glass windows by Henry Holiday. The sanctuary garden has bronze statues by George Fullard and is an oasis of tranquility.
Celebrated for possessing the tallest spire in Yorkshire at a startling 247 feet, and its origins in the middle ages testify to the city’s history.
Whitby, North Yorkshire, YO22 4JT
Tel: (01947) 603568
The outstanding ruins of Whitby Abbey tower impressively on the cliffs above the city.
Primarily, the site was occupied by a Roman legionary headquarters, but in AD627 the first church was built there. Two Norman cathedrals followed and then in 1427 the present cathedral was finished. York cathedral is the largets gothic cathedral north of the alps and has the widest nave in England. It is also famous for the numerous fires which have destroyed various parts of the building, and resulted in extensive restoration work. Admission: Entry by the South West Tower is free, however, there are conscience collection boxes. The recommended route for exploring the Cathedral is clockwise.
The information on this page was believed to be correct at the time of compilation. Dalesman cannot be held responsible for any errors or changes. Contact numbers are given where known so that details can be checked before embarking on any journey.