Map based on Ordnance Survey mapping by permission of Ordnance Survey on behalf of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office. © Crown Copyright.
Length of walk: 3 miles
Start: Richmond obelisk
Terrain: Easy walking all the way
Perhaps one of the most popular rambles around the Richmond area, and rightly so. Only three miles in distance but packed with interest and wonderful scenery. Richmond Falls, Easby Abbey and St. Agatha’s church with its famous 13th century frescoes, all add to the enjoyment of this outing.
The obelisk in the centre of Richmond was erected in 1771, replacing a medieval market cross which had marked the site of Richmond’s water supply. The well (or reservoir) is still beneath the obelisk. This is the start point.
Set off walking between church and the Town Hall Hotel, descend the cobbled street, turning right at Barclays Bank to walk along Millgate.
Follow the road to a car park and Richmond Falls, then swing left to commence a brief riverside meander, walking along a tarred path.
When the path abruptly ends, veer left across the grass to another path. This leads to a wide gate to the left side of Station Bridge. Pass through the gate and cross the road to enter Lombards Wynd, turning right after a few paces.
The church of St. Mary’s to the left contains choir stalls rescued from Easby Abbey, at the dissolution.
Pass a house on the right then follow the wide path uphill into a woodland. There are good retrospective views hereabouts of the Swale and Richmond Castle. Pass the Drummer Boy stone (see plaque) and continue alongside the sports field, walking along a narrow road trace to arrive at a stile.
With the remains of the abbey in sight, head across the field to another stile resting beneath an imposing residence ~ St. Agatha’s House, formerly the vicarage. Cross the stile then follow the track as it skirts around the church and the ruins ~ do visit before continuing onwards. The church was built in 700AD long before the monks arrived to build their abbey! The abbey was founded in 1152 by the Premonstratensian Order.
Leave the abbey and continue along the same track as before. Swing right close to the Platelayers Cottage, to walk along the trackbed of the former Darlington-Richmond railway all the way to Richmond.
The railway station has been converted into a sports complex and swimming pool, but the row of cottages, which housed the railway staff, is still evident on the left as are the scant remains of St. Martin’s Priory.
From the station Bridge follow the road up into the town centre.
The information given in this walk has been provided in good faith and is intended only as a general guide. Whilst all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that details were correct at the time of publication, the author and Country Publications Ltd cannot accept any responsibility for inaccuracies. It is the responsibility of individuals undertaking outdoor activities to approach the activity with caution and, especially if inexperienced, to do so under appropriate supervision. The activity described in this walk is strenuous and individuals should ensure that they are suitably fit before embarking upon it. They should carry the appropriate equipment and maps, be properly clothed and have adequate footwear. They should also take note of weather conditions and forecasts, and leave notice of their intended route and estimated time of return.